No Products in the Cart
1. Extra ammunition - There's a reason why cops no longer carry revolvers and have moved to carry a semi automatic hand guns with a higher capacity. Just google the Newhall Incident for more information on that. You never know what situation you might be faced with, it's much better to have the extra ammunition and not need it than need it and not have it.
2. Magazine Malfunction - A lot of major malfunctions are a result of a bad magazine, if that happens and you don't have a back up the result could be catastrophic and cost you your life.
3. If you already carry a gun with little rounds, like a micro compact with 7+1 rounds, an extra 7 rounds is nice to have.
4. Facing Multiple threats. Most people when they picture being attacked think of having to defend against one person. In a lot of violent crime incidents, quite often there is multiple assailants, if you need to use a lot of rounds on each, you may run to empty especially if you were to miss under stress at two or more moving targets.
5. A Mass shooters capacity - In this day and age in a mass shooting most of these cowards are carrying long guns, you have no idea what weapons they might have. They could already have an advantage in size of gun, ease of use, fire power and capacity as you can't possibly concealed carry an AR-15 to match their "fire power" but having more capacity to help try to level the playing field somewhat may be helpful if you need to lay down some suppressive fire.
6. Have you considered the shooter may be wearing body armor? Extra capacity could make the difference in taking down a threat if the bad guy is wearing some form of body armor.
7. An extra magazine could give you up to 34 or more capacity. My carry gun has a 17 round magazine and with an extra magazine that bumps me up to 34 rounds plus one in the chamber that is more than a single 30 round AR-15 round magazine.
8. Perhaps you want to carry different rounds for different purposes. Some police officers have a Jacketed Hollow Point mag loaded for a target where they have to watch over penetration and want it to stop inside the threat. And they carry a FMJ Ball Ammo Magazine for if they need more penetration, perhaps shooting through a car or the bad guys concealment and they want that penetration so they have a spare mag loaded for that with Full Metal Jacket rounds.
Those are the main benefits of carrying an extra magazine.
Let's look at some of the benefits of carrying using a magazine carrier.
1. It means you are not fishing for your back up mag, if you keep it in your pocket, it could be co mingled with your other EDC Items, perhaps your gum, cigarettes, loose change, wallet, who knows. Everyone is short of pocket space as it is, shoving your mag in there is not going to make for a speedy reload.
2. Your magazine is sat upright in the right position facing the right direction for a quick and consistent reload.
3. It allows you to have a quicker reload and drill your reloads from a consistent position to form that muscle memory from dry fire so when you need to do it under stress it will hopefully be as close to second nature as possible.
4. It allows you to practice reloads and malfunctions during dry fire.
You will need to practice with your mag carrier just like you practice your draw with your gun..
What to look for in a mag carrier -
For us this mag carrier checks all of those boxes, it's corrosion resistant, 0.8 thickness kydex, it is quick clip on/off, it is ambidextrous, can be worn IWB or OWB and has adjustable retention.
So in Conclusion, ultimately only you can decide if carrying a mag carrier is for you and if your carry gun has "enough" rounds for whatever situation you may face and if you can sleep at night having made that decision. If you want more than enough rounds for any situation you may face, a mag carrier is the way to go!
If you have a chance, please leave us a comment with your thoughts on the matter in the comment section below!
Thanks for reading!
I always carry a mag carrier, some great points i hadn’t even considered that reaffirmed why I always carry one. Great article!